1/14/2009

Psalms - Teaching my first SBS book


So I just finished teaching the book of Psalms at ESBS... my first book taught here. It was a lot of fun and I felt really comfortable teaching it. I wanted to write something about each book I teach to share with ya'll my overall and closing thoughts.

Psalms is a beautiful book of people's journal entries, shared with the world that we might see how to live in right relationship with God... living in humility, honesty, repentance, and trust as we try to relate to the creator of our souls. For myself this is difficult, especially as I grow older and more experienced... having to face my lacking more and more every day. Life isn't easy, there are very real things that I face every day that would bring me great joy as well as great frustration and sorrow. In the face of circumstances and doubts and fears and hopes and everything imbetween... who is God and who am I? Psalms brings perspective back to the reality of God as our loving Creator and dares us to live in that reality. "The steadfast love of the Lord endures forever".... what if that really is true? Well, it is... despite what I want to believe or have a hard time seeing or whatever...

God really is good, He really is King over all creation, He really does love us (look at the cross), He will bring us into His deliverance ultimately if we are trusting in Him. There is more to life than circumstances... there is more to life than brokenness... there is God reaching out to a fallen humanity trying to restore our souls. Yeah, it was amazing having the chance to teach the Psalms to the students here at ESBS... I believe you are challenged more as a teacher than as a student... I had to really wrestle through whether I believe God is good and that he does love me... and you know what... yeah, I buy it... especially when I look at the cross.

Song you might want to check out, I have been listening to it a lot as I was studying the Psalms:
Jon Foreman's "Your Love is Strong"